Monday, July 27, 2020

John Lewis: Good Trouble (2020)

It was July the 25th before I saw this my first 2020 release of the year, and what a weird year it's been. I decided to go with this fortuitously timed John Lewis biography because of the congressman's recent passing. I learned a lot, he was a very admirable man. Not perfect though, some of the things he did to beat his primary opponent, a long time friend, to win his Congressional seat in Georgia in 1986, well they're not flattering. It reminds me of George H. W. Bush who generally seemed a rather principled man, but not always in the heat of a race. Overwhelmingly though John Lewis was a stand up guy and then some. The film is a bit conventional in presentation, a biography of the civil rights icon turned congressman with "present day bits" from 2018 and 2019 interspersed. Again solid and informative, the man at its center rising above so much. *** 

No comments: