Saturday, July 4, 2020

Holiday (1938)

'Holiday' is a movie that had I seen it in high school it would have likely been part of the regualr staple of films I tried to get other people to watch. I regret that I hadn't seen this until now, a girl I knew in colloge encourged me to see it, I should have listnened to her. Holiday is based on a 1928 play by Phillip Barry (best known for 'The Philidelphia Story') that had previusly been made into a movie in 1930. This George Cukor version stars Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, the underrated Lew Ayers, the mostly forgotten Doris Nolan and a sceen stealing Edward Everett Horton reprising the same role he played in the 1930 version, only it had been substantially re written. Cukor had the story tweeked in the screen play stage and original author Barry reportedly said he'd improved it. 'Holiday' is the story of Johnny Chase (Grant) a self made man of poor background who is suprised to find the young woman he feel in love with on a ski holiday (Nolan) is the second daughter of an extremly wealthy New York Society family. The couple inlist the help of her older sister (Hepburn) and brothr (Ayers) in winning her demanding father (Henry Kolker) over to the pairing, and at first they succed. The three Seton children at first seem remarkbaly well adjusted given their upbrining, but we gradually discovery they aren't, and Grant and Hepburn discover they might be the better match. I loved this movie, it is excpetionaly well realized and a great deal more sophesitced then I had expected, knowing little going in beyound the cast, the good reputation, and that it is lite romantic comedy. Bowled over by this one, I highly recomend. ****

No comments: