Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Jane Eyre (1944)

In the realm of the Brontë's my experience is very limited, over 15 years ago I saw the 1939 Merle Oberon/ Laurence Olivier version of 'Wuthering Heights' and didn't much care for it. I did like this 1944 'Jane Eyre' however, listing to the special features and such thereafter it was mentioned more then once that the source martial is very internal in its orientation, and thus a lot is lost in film translations. I'm pretty eclectic in my literary interest and think I might have to read the book, I warrant at lest one Gothic romance in pursuit of being well read.  Capably directed by Robert Stevenson whose career would later reach its mid century zenith as the go to guy at Disney studios. Orson Wells gives a slightly ham handedly intense performance as Rochester, which somehow mostly works against Joan Fontaine doing a variation on her work in 'Rebecca'. Also featuring an 11 year old and uncredited Elizabeth Taylor. Screenplay co-written by Aldous Huxley. ***1/2

No comments: