Tuesday, January 21, 2020

1917 (2019)

The plot of '1917' concerns two British solders (George MacKay and Dean-Charles Chapman) assigned to run a warning to other solders across no-man's land that that the Germans are luring them into a trap. I would say around 70% of this movie is very tense so that by the end of it I was just exhausted. A very nice fit for director Sam Mendes who does both gritty action and messy humanity well, I jumped, I cried. A beautiful looking movie that uses camera trickery to appear as though it was done in one long continuous take. The film captures much of the essence of that pointless war in a condensed and effective manner. To me I thought this was even more effective then 'Dunkirk'. Without a doubt one of the best films of last year and I would not be disappointed to see this get the Best Picture Oscar for which it is currently the reported front runner. Not many films really warrant the IMAX treatment but see this on as big of a screen as you can. ****  

No comments: