Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Cold Pursuit (2019)

Cold Pursuit is a remake of the 2014 Norwegian vigilante film In Order of Disappearance, in fact they even brought in that films director Han Petter Moland to helm this thing. It is the story of a snowplow driver named Coxman (Liam Neeson, who recently made his life a lot more difficult for himself) whose son is killed by the mob in a case of mistaken identity. Coxman goes on a revenge killing spree against the mob without making himself known, this causes the mob to assume that a rival mob is responsible and starts a gang war. The concept is a pretty clever dark comedy but having already, and rather recently seen the original movie this retread left me cold. I didn't get anything out of this movie that I didn't already have a superior experience of with the original, so it was kind of a dead film going experience for me. The only real change in the story, other then relocating the setting from Norway to Colorado was beefing up a police part (the police are hardly in the original movie) and giving it to Emmy Rossum, who is perfectly adequate in this. If I had not already seen the original movie I image that I would have had a much better time, otherwise this film was just kind of lifeless, I never really felt anything for anybody on screen, even the main bad guy in the original movie was funer to watch. Disappointed. **

No comments: