Sunday, February 3, 2019

Bird Box (2018)

Often described as The Happening meets A Quite Place, you could probably throw in The Mist, Night of the Living Dead and even The Birds in this apocalyptic genera soup. Bird Box is an unexpectedly popular Netflix original movie based on the 2014 novel of the same name by singer/songwriter Josh Malerman. While I can't speak for the source material the movie is mediocre stuff well executed and carried by Sandra Bullock's better then this movie warrants performance. I am a little embarrassed how much I got into this movie, it shouldn't work but did, though I am suspicious that is would hold up on repeat viewing for me. Probably my biggest complaint about the film, after all the logic leaps, clichés, and things that just don't add up, is the way it was cut. Much of the potential suspense of the bulk of the movie is undercut by the "five years later" framing story, if you were to recut the film and then just play it in chronological order I think the movie would be stronger for it. ***

No comments: