Friday, October 26, 2018

The Changling (1980)

Not to be confused with the 2008 Angelia Jolie vehicle Changeling, which is based on real events, The Changeling is a haunted house movie filmed in 1979 and staring George C. Scott and his real life wife Trish Van Devere, one of several films the couple made together. I saw this in a revival showing at The Tower theater in Salt Lake, immediately after seeing the 1932 film The Old Dark House, interestingly both movies feature Melvin Douglas. This movie helped me coin a phrase for a certain type of film which I'm calling 'a big grin movie'. 'A big grin movie' is a film in which something I'm not expecting to happen happens, and I'm so happy about it that I wear a big grin on my face. The 'big grin moment' in this movie happens about half way through and I so didn't see it coming, and it so changed the character of the film for me that I just fell in love with it. I owned a copy of this movie within an hour of finishing it in the theater. If your looking for something you likely haven't seen this Halloween id'd recommend. ****

This would probably have been a *** or ***1/2 star movie but the Big Grin moments pushed it up a notch.

No comments: