Monday, October 22, 2018

Silverado (1985)

A local theater here has been showing older movies for less then two dollars a ticket so I've gone to see an number of them, mostly movies I'd seen before like the 1938 Robin Hood, An American in Paris, The African Queen and Field of Dreams. I don't know if I had ever even heard of Silverado before, so I came into the film knowing very little about it, beyond that it was a western, who was in it and who made it. So my expectations were practically non existent, and this film really won me over. It's got about everything you could want in a western except for Indians, there is a wagon train, settlers in trouble, a corrupt cattle baron, gamblers, saloon girls, gun slingers of both the crazy and crazy good variety. The cast is also excellent, Kevin Kline gives a great character performance, and a unique one too, I've never seen quite this guy on film before. Also there is Scott Glenn, Kevin Costner, Danny Glover, Brian Dennehy, Rosanna Arquette, John Cleese, Jeff Goldblum and Linda Hunt. Lawrence Kasdan directed and co-scripted, he is responsible for some of the best  Star Wars and a master of constructing a mythic narrative. This film should be much better remembered then it is. ****

No comments: