Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Silver Streak (1976)

Movie about mysterious happenings on a train trip from L.A. to Chicago. I had seen bits and pieces of this film before with my dad, but this was the first time I'd seen Silver Streak all the way through and I really enjoyed it. I don't know if you could make a film like this today, its actually pretty understated in its comedy, and surprisingly most of what might be called crudity in the film is near the beginning, and its not really that crude at all by contemporary standards. Gene Wilder is certainly an interesting choice as leading man in most anything, but especially when he is largely playing it straight; this is the movie where they discovered his chemistry with Richard Pryor and they would be reteamed again the future. Fine direction by Arthur Hiller, and musical score by Henry Mancini. I really like Jill Clayburgh, I wish she had been a bigger star. I also quite liked the effects work at the end, I think they hold up nicely. Surprisingly good. ***1/2

No comments: