Monday, February 20, 2017

The Lego Batman Movie (2016)

I must admit that I have never seen The Lego Movie, I want to, it's on my list, but I've yet to see the film. I was however well aware of Will Arnett's breakout vocal characterization of Batman in that film, gravelly, megalomaniacal and dry. Said portrayal carries the bulk of this spin off film, The Lego Batman Movie, with Arnett getting many great lines. Even though I have not seen the original Lego film I get the sense this movie must in many ways be a pale imitation of it, it has a safe message about the importance of families, most of the gages are safe, its full of pop culture cross reverences of everything from Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings to Jaws and Gremlins, as well as songs that are maybe not quite awesome. Enjoyable, but unless you have kids maybe don't pay full price. **1/2

No comments: