Friday, February 17, 2017

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

The first film directed by Japanese animation legend Hayao Miyazaki for his own studio. Based on Miyazaki's own 1982 Magna of the same name, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind concerns "a princess of a small kingdom on a post-apocalyptic Earth with a bioengineered ecological system, who becomes involved in a war between kingdoms while an environmental disaster threatens humankind."-Wikipedia. Miyazaki's imagination is super creative and original, and this film really hit home for me how consistently high quality his work has been over the course of quite the career. You have a strong female protagonist, you have what is lightly a message movie that is both very Japanese and very contemporary in it's 1980's era concerns, I'd say the film feels enjoyably of its time. The movie also has what I would consider to be the strongest score of any of Miyazaki's movies, I've been listing to selections from it over the week since I saw this picture. Hayao really came out of the gates running. Also I suspect that the fox squirrel is a direct creative ancestor of Pikachu. ****


No comments: