Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Hitch (2014)

I don't usually post reviews about things I watch on the internet but this one was so impressive I felt I had to. The Hitch is a youtube documentary made by non-professional first time filmmaker Kristoffer Seland Hellesmark, that tells the life story of the late iconoclast Christopher Hitchens (1949-2011). Told mostly in Hitchens own words the film is compiled from the vast trove of Hitchens interviews and speech's available online. Highlights include the tragic story of his mothers death, and Hitchens seemingly mold breaking support for the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq, when you hear him tell it it's an 'almost thou convinces me' moment. Since I brought up the biblical allusion yes of course Hitchens strident atheism, perhaps the thing for which he was most famous by the time of his death, is discussed, but really not until the last 25 minutes of this only 82 minute film. I know Hitchens was and is controversial, and I have plenty of my own problems and disagreements with the man, but there is something about him that I have long found just very engaging. Even if your unfavorably disposed toward the man I'd recommend giving this short doc a try, I think that if you do you'll find something in Christopher Hitchens, an uncommonly articulate man, with which you can relate. ***

No comments: