Monday, October 13, 2014

Gone Girl (2014)

If you'd like to have yourself a smart and satisfying film going experience, well Gone Girl would be a safe bet. Based on the best selling novel by Gillian Flynn, who also penned the screenplay, Gone Girl is directed with aplomb by the always strong David Fincher. Fincher excels at dark, mind bending thrillers with some cerebral gravitas, and that's exactly what you get here. Ben Affleck  does well as the lead, a not so faithful husband whose beautiful wife mysteriously goes missing, leaving an intriguing crime scene at their home. There's a good supporting cast here as well but this picture really belongs to Rosamund Pike as the wife, the titular 'Gone Girl'. I'd heard the name Rosamund Pike before but prior to seeing this movie I don't think I could have named a single other film that she was in, well now I'd consider myself a fan, she just owns this movie, its a delayed break-out performance, and I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of her in the near future.

I'd say more about the story but this film is to new to risk spoiling, and I was grateful and impressed that I was able to go into the film without having it spoiled for me ahead of time. I think all your really need to know about this move going in is summed by the films excellent pedigree and the rave notices its been getting. To summarize what I read another reviewer saying about, its very difficult to pull off an innovative and compelling thriller anymore, but Gone Girl sustains its self throughout the whole of 2 /12 hour running time, and honestly feels new. ****

No comments: