Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Homicidal (1961)

William Castle's 1961 thriller owes a lot to Psycho, in fact it wouldn't have existed without it. The homages are everywhere, the lead actress (Joan Marshall, though billed as Jean Arless) looks like Janet Leigh, she checks into a hotel, uses the shower, and catches the eye of an employ there. There's also an isolated house, mommy issues, stabbings and one heck of a twist. In fact I can't say much about this movie because I don't want to spoil the twist, it really got me and I just did not see it coming, and I can't believe that I didn't see it coming now that I've seen it. Suffice it to say I had to watch the movie a second time just to experience it knowing, and see just how well it was constructed. A worth while experince, a surprisingly clever, sneaky movie. ***

No comments: