Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Batman: Year One (2011)

I hadn't seen any of these comic book direct to DVD adaptations that have become so common over the last decade or so, I thought I'd give this one a try. Pretty straightforward really, a telling of Bruce Wayne's first year as Batman, based on the 1987 Frank Miller comic series (I like how this film seems to be set in the mid 1980's). Story told mostly from the point of view of a youngish Lt. Gordon, freshly transferred to Gotham, and quietly battling the city's corrupt police department. James Gordon can actually be a pretty interesting character when given the screen time, as proved by the recent Dark Knight Films. Story standard corruption/organized crime stuff, no super villain to speak of, save a nascent Catwoman, who is given her own, rather violent animated short as a special feature on the DVD. I'd be interested to see them continue this series with a Batman: Year Two ect. I doubt that happens though. **1/2

No comments: