Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Kings Speech (2010)

The possibly media created rivalry of this years awards seasons was chiefly between people who favored the 'sharp and now' sensibilities of The Social Network, and those who preferred the more traditional, inspirational fare of The Kings Speech. Now I haven't seen The Social Network yet, though by general aptitude that seems like the kind of film I would prefer; I must say having now seen The Kings Speech, The Social Network's going to have a hard time topping it in my lose and unofficial list of the best films of last year.

It's straight forward, the true story of the stutter prone royal who would become King George VI, and his Australian speech therapist. The movie is made by the interplay of leads Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush, playing the king and therapist respectively. The supporting cast is strong too, with Guy Pearce, Michael Gambon, and Helena Bonham Carter (who a friend of mine commented, and I think rightly, is particularly arresting in her role as Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon). Also the direction by Tom Hooper, a relative newcomer to feature films who has a background mostly in British television, feels perfectly tuned. In fact Hooper may prove to be to British Drama, what his fellow television veteran Edgar Wright is to British Comedy, a breather of new life.

The film is inspiring, and Colin Firth really makes you feel for George VI, a monarch who is actually a nice and humble guy. I came into this film a little skeptical, fearing the trite, but walked away rather impressed, having just enjoyed a thoroughly satisfying film going experience. Grade: A

1 comment:

hortinthewho said...

As much as I have hyped this film I feel relieved to read that you enjoyed it.

It really is a great film, in my opinion. I also haven't seen the Social Network, though it's next in my Netflix queue, but I have a hard time seeing how it will possibly top this film.