Sunday, March 6, 2011

Brothers (2009)

This was more then just a little bit raw for me given the year I've had. Loss, of any type, is so uniquely the experience of the person having it, its hard for me to feel right generalizing, or judging. We deal with things, whether rightly or wrongly, the way we feel we need to, or the way that's left open to us.

I don't know much about the military life, as depicted in this film, but that strange sense of a bizarre mundanes that can permeate the weeks and months after someones gone, that I know. I hate to see brothers torn, families frayed, expectations unmet, unbalance. We can sense when things are off kilter, try to bring them to parity, try to right ourselves, that's all we can do. Sometimes we can't succeed, sometimes its feelings of guilt, a paranoia concerning others, or a desperation born from the unthinkable, but inevitable, coming to be.

Families are complicated, a source of pain and joy, a bond. This movie makes that point, the characters judge themselves, and find themselves wanting. Jim Sheridan has some insight, and I'm grateful and moved each time he displays it. This film is not mine, or anyone else's story, but as in all things mythic, we can see some of our selves in it, and I think that helps. Grade: A-

1 comment:

hortinthewho said...

Coincidentally enough I just watched this movie last night.

I thought that the portrayal of the guilt experienced by Cpt. Cahill after living and returning from Afghanistan and how that turned to rage and jealousy was very well done.

Decent film.