Thursday, December 3, 2009

Surveillance (2008)

This is a bloody, violent, often unpleasant indi suspense thriller co-written and directed by Jennifer Lynch, daughter of David. Jennifer may well be more twisted then her father, she's certainly bloodier and even less interested in reassuring endings then dad. While David tends to the surreal in his horror, Jennifer seems to emphasis the real. This film about the investigation of a string of serial murders in a small Nebraska town indicts its victims while humanizing its killers, no one escapes clean. At first I thought the whole thing excessive, but then came to realize that there is more subtlety here then I thought, and was impressed as well with the unexpected intricacy of the film making, as well as how riveting Lynch could make some rather unpleasant scenes. Better and more provocative then I had expected, it managed to win me over through pure artful mendacity. I Approve.

No comments: