Thursday, November 5, 2009

Manufacturing Dissent (2007)

Another film about Michael Moore, though this one feels more journalistic then most. Moore still comes off badly, or at least as complicated, which he assuredly is. I think when we learn more about his past, especially around the time of Roger & Me, we see that he had always been an egoist, practically incapable of admitting when he was wrong (I don’t ever think I’ve heard him say he was wrong), and someone who clearly doesn’t think it wrong to manipulate the truth when he thinks he’s right (which again appears to be basically all the time). I don’t hate Michael Moore, I still kind of like him, but I think he’s a man more motivated by an unhealthy psychology then by principle or anything else. Grade: B-

Films title is a play on the Noam Chomsky documentary Manufacturing Consent.

No comments: