Thursday, November 19, 2009

2012 (2009)

Watching 2012 was like being a pig rolling around in Roland Emmrich excrement, you know its crap but it feels so good. Actually this is probably the directors best film since Independence Day ,though I think the only two of his movies I’ve seen since then are Godzilla and The Day After Tomorrow, so maybe that’s not saying much. Emmrich likes to blow stuff up, and it looks neat, plus his ability to craft the sort of characters that work in disaster films is probably the best this side of the 1970's. It’s a crowd pleaser that makes up in scope for what is lacks in depth. I kind of wanted to dislike this film, but I’m having a hard time doing that because I really enjoy it, though I’m under no illusions, art it ain’t but as spectacle, the most satisfying disaster film in some time. Grade: B-.

No comments: