Saturday, August 8, 2009

Funny People (2009)

Director Judd Apatow’s latest serio-comedy is the most serio-one yet. Apatow has a gift for balancing the humorous with the poinet, but this film is constructed to lay more emphasis on the latter then any of his previous work excepting Freaks & Geeks. The Dramatist in Apatow is on full display here, and he elicits strong performances form his cast, including Seth Rogan’s subtlest and Adam Sandler’s most reveling since Punch Drunk Love. Apatows real-life wife Leslie Mann gets a chance to shine on screen (as well as their two daughters) and one is reminded how stunning and under used this women really is. The occasional crudity will drive some off (though its tame by the standards of the directors previous two films) but its got to be on the most reflect movies so far this year, and that’s even more of an accomplishment for a big summer release. Lets hope its appreciated. Grade: B+

3 comments:

Travis said...

Hey Nate,

So in your opinion, why did it receive the rating it did? I presume that it was mostly language, is that correct? The movie looked awesome but I would rather see it myself and not with the wife if content is questionable.

NateDredge said...

Rated R for language and brief nudity (maybe 30 seconds worth of breasts).

Funny (and appropriate for all audiances) youtube clip from the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2BMhqfwLo

(in the film Jonah Hill's character posts this on youtube to draw more attention to his standup act).

hortinthewho said...

I really liked this film. I have really enjoyed some of Adam Sandler's more serious attempts in films.

I have to disagree slightly. I really think that Reign Over Me is Adam Sandler's best film by far. I think this could be number 2 for me.

I appreciated the combination of some seriousness along with Sandler's ability to still be funny at times.

Combined it really made this a poignant film that I appreciated and enjoyed.