Saturday, August 8, 2009

Angels and Demons (2009)

While superior to its predecessor 2006's The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons has the ludicrous plot of ‘the Illumaniti’ planning to blow up the Vatican with an anti-matter bomb during a papal conclave as revenge for 17th century Church persecution of scientists. This talky and at times obtuse adventure flick is better executed and more engaging story-wise then the first of Ron Howard’s adaptations of Dan Brown novels, and has at lest one generally memorable moment. Hanks is good but not stretching himself, and the best things about this series continue to be its villains and the lovely dark haired European girls who assist our ‘symbiologist’ hero. The film does have some generally intriguing things to say about the manufacture of religious myth, which I think are much more relevant then those made in The Da Vinci Code. Grade: C+ Look for director Howard’s father Rance as one of the Cardinals.

1 comment:

hortinthewho said...

I would give this film a higher rating. I think I would give it a B+. When I read this book and the Da Vinci Code I thought this was certainly the superior book and I also think it was the superior movie.

I also think I may be somewhat generous in giving it a B+ but I think it is at least worthy of a solid B.

There were a few things that had some trouble translating to the screen and I would almost say that, from a cinematography standpoint, that the beginning was stronger than the end.