Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

Walter Mirisch produced John Sturges directed Western (in 2 senses of the word) adaptation of Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Saimiri. Widely beloved by male members of a certain generation, it was partly cribbed for the 80's comedy The Three Amigos, which its self is widely beloved by male members of at lest two generations. I find the movie more interesting for the reputed on set rivalry between Yul Brenner and Steve McQueen. The movie its self I was mostly bored with, I wasn’t quite in the mood for it when I started it a 9 pm on a Thursday night, and it’s really something I should have watched with my dad rather then alone. I hardly feel qualified to rate this film, because I mostly lost interest after the Seven were assembled and the proceedings seemed to be no great stretch of the period formula. Therefore my add hoc rating for the film would be between a neutral 2 ½ and a 3 recognizing its cultural significance.

No comments: