Monday, August 11, 2008

Rambo III (1988)

I wasn’t expecting much out of this, but it proved to be a far more likable film then its immediate predecessor. I thus spent part of the movie trying to figure out why I was responding so much better to it, then I did to Rambo Part II. I think at least part of the explanation lies in the fact that this film chose to more fully embrace what it was, a kind of Reaganite Great Escape. Rambo II certainly had a triumphalism in it, but it was rather down beat, that film strateled the types of movies that Rambo I and Rambo III fully are. Part II tried to be both Vietnam era eulogy, and high octane 80's action pic, and failed to be fully either. Rambo III knows what it is, goes for it, and succeeds, yet still manages to remain sufficiently true to the whole Rambo ethos and mythology. Loved the fact that this film was dedicated to the gallent Afghan people, knowing what happens since it adds an interesting aura of pending fate to some of the characters, especially the little boy. Also if I haven’t said it yet I must say that I really enjoy the Richard Crenna character, and I finally figured out who that actor reminds me of, William Holden. Three out Five.

No comments: