Monday, August 11, 2008

Cinema Paradiso (1988): Directors Cut

Having just seen and been blown away by director Giuseppe Tornatore’s The Legend of 1900, I decided that I must see more of his work. The logical place to start was Cinema Paradiso, the 1988 film for which the director is best known and most loved. As hard as it may have been for me to conceive when I started the movie, this Is better then 1900, and 1900's still awesome! I was completely floored by this movie, it is completely beautiful. Buckets you will sob, I was an emotional wreck by the end. I think this is now my favorite non English language film, replacing Life is Beautiful (which is still Beautiful), and as I reflect on it over the next several days it may prove a strong contender for my favorite film of all time! It’s an ode, a Valentin to movies and the emotions they make you feel, and it succeeds brilliantly at capturing the essence of so much, time, love, family, friendship. If you see it I strongly recommend getting the directors cut, which adds an entire third act to the film. The movie would be wonderful without this material, but adding it gives you so much more. Again I’m typing this just moments after my first viewing, so I’m gushing, but I know this film will sustain the gush. An incredible experience of a film, Five out Five.

No comments: