Tuesday, June 24, 2008

27 Dresses (2007)

I like Katherine Heigl, not only is she gorgeous to look at, but she also speaks her mind. Witness her recent “snubbing” of the writers for her own Gray’s Anatomy, and a Vanity Fair interview in which she decried the film that made her an A list star, Knocked-Up, for its sexism ( A kind of oddly reversed sexism is defiantly on display in that film, but its also awesome so I forgive it). This being said I wonder what she would have to say about this film, 27 Dresses. It’s a formula picture by conception, and didn’t seem inclined towards taking many risks, though it did go meaner then I’d expected and for that I respect it. Heigl anchors the film well, develops her character to satisfaction, but is not exactly challenged. Still her charisma helps carry the piece, boied up as well by James Marsden, who gets to do more then just smile in this one. Judy Greer continues to play the bridesmaid both on film and in a career sense, star her in a picture and I’ll go see it because she’s certainly due. Three out of Five.

No comments: