There was a chapter about this movie in Tarantino's Cinema Speculation, which is why I watched it. Adapted from the 1962 novel The Hunter, this feels both timeless and like a throw back to the FDR era. Robert Duvall gets out of prison for a robbery of 5ish years before, very shortly there after attempted hits are made on him, and his partner Joe Don Baker, and a successful one on Duvall's brother, the three perpetrators involved in that bank job (I guess there wasn't enough evidence to convict the other two). Come to find out that that bank they hit was a mob front, so mob boss Robert Ryan decided to wait until all 3 were available to attempt and extract revenge. This backfires as Duvall and Baker successfully go after various mob operations, so eventually Robert Ryan decides to make a peace offering to end it. However Ryan double crosses them, so the war escalates and I really enjoyed enjoyed the ending. Smart and unhurried, everything you could want from a heist/revenge movie, done with sophistication and confidence. Deserves to be a classic. ****
Sunday, September 6, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment