Saturday, January 21, 2017

The Accountant (2016)

This film greatly exceeded the expectations I had for it. I had been a bit on the fence about going to see it in the theater or not, but I did and was very impressed. When the movie ended, the audience clapped, in a dollar theater. That says something. I won't say too much about the plot, it's a crime movie, a thriller, has a few good moments of wry humor. The big 'twist' isn't much of a twist, I figured it out fairly early on, but the twist wasn't the point, the movie gives you the clues, it's not really trying to trick you. There is some franchise potential here but in the end I don't really want them to make a sequel, this movie stands on its own too well and anything more isn't needed. Good cast all around, Ben Affleck, Anna Kendrick, J.K. Simmons, Jon Bernthal, John Lithgow. Bill Dubuque wrote it and now I'm interested in seeing his other work. I tried but I can't think of another film quite like it, for me probably the big movie surprise of 2016. ****

No comments: