I started this a couple times and couldn't get into. I decided to give it one more chance and power through. The film has got a very slow first half and gets more interesting in the second. Set in early 13th Century Ireland, the film concerns a group of monks (including John Lynch and Tom Holland) as well as their mute servient (Jon Bernthal) tasked with escorting their holiest relic to Waterford so it can be sent to Rome for use in the 5th Crusade (I think the plan is to take it into battle, but maybe the plan is to sell it).
On the way they encounter people who want to steal the relic, and there are battles, and interpersonal conflicts and peoples faith is tested, and the last 10 minutes of the movie is the best 10 minutes of the movie. I suspect this story would have made a more interesting read, then a watch. Nice period grit, and I apricated that this is the kind of story we don't get much in film, but I just wasn't able to sink with this movie and really enjoy it. **
No comments:
Post a Comment