Thursday, December 21, 2023

8-Bit Christmas (2021)

 '8-Bit Christmas' is essentially a remake of 'A Christmas Story', updating the setting from the 40's to the 80's and the object of the young leads Christmas desire from a BB gun to a Nintendo. "You'll shoot your eye out" becomes 'you'll rot your brain'. The film employes a 'Princess Bride' style framing story, borrows a little from 'The Goonies' and has plenty of John Hughes references. 

Another movie that leans overwhelmingly on 80's nostalgia, so over done. Plodding, dull, lazy, I found it a slog to sit through and would not have finished it had I not been watching it with someone else. I liked the parents, especially June Diane Raphael, but also Steve Zahn, their characterizations are hardly deeply drawn but everyone else is so paper thin I simply could not care about them. Film tries to redeem its self with a sentimental ending, but I ain't falling for it, I sat through too much to get there. I hated this. *1/2 (the half star is for the parents performances)

No comments: