Sunday, September 3, 2023

House of Gucci (2021)

 Power struggles within the Gucci family over their fashion empire. 'The House of Gucci' is the 'Godfather' crossed with an 80's prime time soap, and it actually happened.

I wasn't sure exactly how to take what I was seeing. The campyness, the arch sensibility, Jeremy Irons doing both Neitzche and Shakespeare, Jared Leto's variant on Fredo. Again back to 'The Godfather', Robert DeNiro is here, and Adam Driver is getting pulled back into the family business just when he thinks he is out.

I am completely won over to Lady Gaga as an actress, I'll watch anything she's in. I was fascinated by what she was doing with her performance, the mixed messages she sent. Trying to figure out what Patriza was up to, does she really love Maurizo? What does she want? What's her end goal? Is there a master plan?

Able direction by Ridley Scott, this odd balance of on the nose and off kilter. The heavy handed pop soundtrack, well it worked for the thing. Without giving away too much, I felt misdirected, and I'm glad. I didn't know this story, and if your not already familiar avoid learning more before viewing. I had my doubts that this could hook me, but it hooked me.***1/2

No comments: