Saturday, May 20, 2023

A Man Called Otto (2022)

 'A Man Called Otto' is an American remake of the 2015 Swedish film 'A Man Called Ove' which in turn was based on the 2012 Swedish novel of the same name. The book was something of an international hit and while I have not read it I did see the Swedish film version which I liked, so I didn't see much of a reason to bother with the American film. My mother was a fan of the book and of this film which she showed me on a recent visit. I wasn't expecting to like it but it won me over, not as good as the earler film it still did what it needed to do and ably filled the measure of its creation providing a likeable enough outing and a modestly inspirational time.

Tom Hanks is good as always and here cast against type as a grumpy widower who finds his love of life again through the aid of an eclectic assortment of neighbors. It's a redemption story in the mold of Ebenezer Scrooge, 'The Grinch' and Ed Asner in 'UP'. Well cast, especially Marina Trevino and Rachel Keller. Set in Pittsburgh it still convies a certian Scandinavian sensibility. Film is marginally woke which may be a turn off to some. Still for me its feel good pleasentness manages to out weigh its tritness. ***

No comments: