Saturday, February 12, 2022

Life with Father (1947)

 Based on a play based on the memoire of cartoonist/ author Clarence Day's privileged childhood in 1880's New York City. 'Life with Father' was once beloved but plays kind of awkwardly now, it took about half the picture before I could sink with it's tone. In Mormon terms it is in effect the portrait of a part member family, William Powell has some mildly unorthodox ideas religious ideas of which his more straight laced wife Irene Dunn does not approve. 'Father' is not the most likable character but William Powell's performance grew on me over the course of the film, as for the appeal of Irene Dunn I still remain at something of a lose, I should probably get around to seeing more of her work. Also featuring a 15 year old Elizabeth Taylor and young Martin Milner later of 'Adam-12' fame. I enjoyed some of the dry humor and patted myself on the back for all the period references I got. **1/2

No comments: