Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Gloria's (2020)

 'The Glorias' is a bio-pic of feminist icon Gloria Steinem, it's directed by Julie Taymor so it's kind of arty, including sequences where the four actresses who play Ms. Steinem at various ages talk to each other on a bus, at first I didn't think this worked but it grew on me. Alicia Vikander and Julian Moore play the adult Gloria's. I was familiar with the vague outline of Ms. Steinem's life (who I saw speak live once) but I learned things here, particularly about her early life. Towards the end the movie devolves into something of check list, we've got to touch on X,Y & Z, so the character building is fairly minimal because the film has so much ground to cover. Still there remains a place for such survey course bio-pics, there is something comforting about them. ***

No comments: