Saturday, August 14, 2021

Cruella (2021)

The current fad of Disney live action remakes of their animated classics I have largely ignored. For one thing I'm really not their target audience, and for another the originals can't be surpassed. A straight forward retailing of these stories holds little interest to me, but if the material or characters are approached in a off center, revisionist way I may be interested. 

Such is 'Cruella', an origin story for the classic villain of '101 Dalmatians'. Set in the 1960's and 70's this is not a prequel to the 1961 animated movie, the 1956 novel it was based on, nor the 1996 live action reboot with Glen Close. For one thing Anita is played by actress Kirby Howell-Baptiste and the other incarnations of this character are all white. For another Cruella is played by Emma Stone, and you just can't hate Emma Stone. 

While I know what it's not, I'm still not exactly sure what this film is. For one thing, while generally kid friendly it's not particularly a kids movie. I mean how many kid's movie's do you know set in the competitive world of high fashion? Telling the tale of petty thief and aspiring fashion designer Cruella's grappling with her origins, the film is part heist feature, part revenge flick, and part Greek myth? 

A darker reimaging of Disney tropes then one might think Disney would allow, I'm not kidding when I say that 'Game of Thrones' came to mind when I was watching this. The film boasts a fine cast including Emma Thompson, Mark Strong, and Paul Walter Hauser, the latter being one of the most intriguing and surprisingly versatile youngish actors to come along in a while. The period sound track to this film is also particularly strong. 

This is such an odd, unusual, authorial piece for Disney. Directed by Craig Gillespie of all people, who did 'Lars and the Real Girl' and 'I, Tonya', playful movies with hart, but very non Disney. I frankly marvel a little that this even exists, but I'm glad that it does. I think this is easily the most interesting of the Disney live action reimaging's.  ***1/2



No comments: