Sunday, July 25, 2021

The Star Trek Project

 The Star Trek Project, wherein I recommend Next Generation episodes to Rob for the purpose of his dipping his toes into the franchise. 

I had been counting the pilot episode as two as it was later split in half for rerun broadcasting. Here I will be counting it as one episode. I will also give the episodes by there season numbers rather then there ultimate numbers

Season 1

Season 1 episode 1 & 2 

Encounter at Farpoint - I went back and forth on this one some. The pilot movie isn't great, but introduces the characters and sets up Q and there is no more efficient introduction. 

Season 1 episode 9 

The Battle 

Some good background on Picard and will introduce you to the Ferengi. 

Season 1 episode 12 

The Big Good Bye 

A good introduction to the holodeck as a story point

Season 1 episode 15

11001001

A solid, very 'Trek' episode with some interesting aliens. 

Season 1 episode 22 

Symbiosis 

A 'figuring out what's really going on with these aliens' episode. Mostly recommended because of the Prime Directive issues and the ending. 

Season 1 episode 26 

The Neutral Zone 

Introduction of The Romulans to the new series, and because the 20th Century humans are kind of fun.  

Season 2 

Season 2 episode 9

The Measure of a Man 

Picard acts as Data's legal council in a trial to determine if he is a living being or Starfleet property. This a top 10 Next Generation episode for me. 

Season 2 episode 12

The Royal 

Silly fun. 

Season 2 episode 15 

Pen Pals 

Neat Data/ Prime Directive centric episode. That is a young Niki Cox as the alien girl. 

Season 2 episode 16

Q Who

Q intoduces the Enterprise to the Borg

Season 2 episode 21 

Peak Performance 

The war games stuff and it's ultimate complication are fun


2 comments:

hortinthewho said...

Season 1:
Where to start? I've enjoyed chatting with Nate about some of the episodes he's been watching. Others hold less interest. I have long wanted to learn more about Star Trek to at least be conversational about the subject. As Nate and I discussed it I was overwhelmed by the prospect of trying to watch the entirety of the series. That's what led to this curated selection.

Encounter at Farpoint. I enjoyed the introduction, I can already see why this episode isn't one of the more highly regarded, but where better to start than the beginning? Nate is right, it's a good introduction to the characters and I'm still curious how Q will continue to be relevant.

The Battle. I enjoyed this episode. Enjoyed the introduction to the Ferengi. I find Picard to be an easy character to relate to.

The Big Goodbye. Am I the only one who watched how excited Picard is about the holodeck and can't help but imagine it being used for less... "wholesome" purposes? Fun episode though.

11001001. Another good episode. I thought it was a little compressed, but enjoyed it.

Symbiosis: Again, enjoyed this episode. Solid plot, nice turns with the prime directive, and how they turn the prime directive again at the end of the episode.

The Nuetral Zone: Interesting introduction to the Romulans, curioius to see where that will go in terms of future interactions with the species. As this is the last episode in the season I assume that this nuetral zone issue, and the Romulans, will be bigger going forward?

hortinthewho said...

Season 2:
Episode 9, The Measure of a Man. I really enjoyed this episode. I appreciated the approach to the questions presented in the episode. It would be really easy to have an episode like this come out really cheesy but this one worked well.

Episode 12, The Royal. Nate refers to this as "silly fun." It is fun, yet not my favorite episode. Still decent though.

Episode 15, Pen Pals. Another episode that wasn't my favorite, yet I can't help but appreciate. The Data/prime directive stuff is interesting. I found myself thinking of a couple of resolutions before the episode ended.

Episode 16, Q Who. I am not sure why I like these Q episodes. I really can't pinpoint it, yet I do like them. I liked the introduction to the Borg. The Borg are an interesting concept and the hive mind being the source of their power is interesting. Super solid episode.

Episode 21, Peak Performance. Another one that landed really well with me. I like how this episode played out. Am I the only one who thinks that the Ferengi seem a little gullible in this episode? I had not seen Worf using that trick against the Ferengi as well. Lastly, Wesley and the away team totally cheated on the exercise.

I enjoyed the season 2 selections and am enjoying this introduction to Star Trek. I've known Nate long enough to go along with whatever he recommends and just be along for the ride. Also he's adjusting his curation based on my feedback, so hard for me to go wrong in this exercise.