Saturday, February 13, 2021

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows (2011)

 I liked this film a fair deal better then the 2009 'Sherlock Holmes' also staring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law. The first film in this, seemingly already dead, franchise had a stupide plot that annoyed me and a style that I found off-putting. It wasn't Holmes. 'Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows' isn't really Holmes either, though it comes closer. It's like a hybrid of Holmes and James Bond, a Eurocentric adventure consisting mostly of unmemorable dialogue and over produced action sequences. It got better as it went along, but never properly captilized on the death of Rachel McAdams character earlier in the film as a motivator for Sherlock. Jared Harris was a fine Moriarty, I wish he'd had that part in a better film. I'm a Noomi Rapace fan, but as too often happens this film gave her relatively little to do. The plot is surprisingly similar to that of the  'League of Extraordinary Gentleman' film of 2003, which was also bad. *1/2 

In retrospective I'd downgrade the first film form *1/2 to *. 

No comments: