Monday, December 14, 2020

The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone (2020)

'The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone' is director Francis Ford Coppola's 30th anniversary re-edit of 'The Godfather Part III', which was the most uneven and ill regarded entry in the landmark franchise. I had seen 'The Godfather Part III' only once, on edited VHS circa 2003, so I didn't remember a lot this and can't easily compare the versions. I remember the last scene, which is changed here and honestly I prefer the original on that front, and mostly the weird Sofia Coppola romantic subplot is what I retained from the first viewing. 

While not approaching the first two movies in terms of quality and impact I remember thinking that Part III was not as bad as I'd expected, and I thought 'Coda' worked quite well as an ending. I think some of the editing, given the dates on newspaper clips shown, messed up some of the internal chronology of this final film. I got to see this in the theater so I've now seen all three (in essence) on the big screen, a quasi-achievement. ***1/2  





No comments: