Monday, April 29, 2019

Wonderstruck (2017)

Based on the 2011 novel of the same name by Brian Selznick, Wonderstruck is a kind of art house kid's movie. Two storylines, one about a 12 year old girl (deaf actress Millicent Simmonds of A Quite Place fame) in 1927 New Jersey who runs away to New York City and ends at the Natural History Museum, and the other about a 12 year old boy (Oaks Fegley, Pete in the Pete's Dragon remake of a couple of years back) in 1977 Minnesota who runs away to New York City and also ends up at the Natural History Museum, of course these storylines will eventually converge. I really liked, even loved the look of this film, both cinematography and set design, I wish I'd seen this movie on the big screen it just looks fantastic. I also liked most of the performances, however I thought the story was rather lite and a little stretched out, sadly there were times when I was kind of bored, and that really should not have happened in a movie otherwise so vibrant. Still an impressive achievement, and perhaps the only family friendly Todd Haynes film. ***1/2

No comments: