Sunday, May 13, 2018

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

I had seen about half of this movie in an edited for TV network showing around 25 years ago, but wasn't able to finish it, I think because the home teachers came. This is a good movie, the half I had seen held up well, and the 2nd half was perhaps better then I would have expected, and actually makes me curious about what the later films in the series did with the property, though from what I understand none of those movies are this good (I thought this movie was better then the original by the way, and also better then Total Recall, a film I recently revisited after around 25 years and another edited network TV showing in the 90's). My pet peeve with this film is lazy, and easily fixable continuity problems. 'Judgment Day' the nuclear attack that would inaugurate 'the rise of the machines' against humanity is said to occur in August of 1997, I assumed that this film was supposed to be set in August of 1997, yet some dialogue in the film indicate that Judgment Day is still around 3 1/2 years after away, which would put the main action of the film in early 1994, which would make John Conner 9 based on the February 1985 birthdate we see for him on his police record, though he is obviously around 12 or 13 years of age. This whole issue would have been solved by moving Judgment Day up to around the year 2000, I don't know why they didn't just do that. But again from what I've heard about the later films in this franchise they have near contempt for chronology, so I guess I have that to 'look forward to' in watching this series. Still T2 is at times near perfect for what it is trying to be, ***1/2.  

No comments: