Sunday, March 18, 2018

Snake Eyes (1998)

I remember seeing the theatrical trailer for this film 20 years ago and really wanting to see it, not so much for the Nicolas Cage but because I was a  big fan of Gary Sinise. Of course I didn't watch R rated films back then but I do now, and in this case I wasn't missing much. The story is the about the assassination of the Secretary of Defense at a heavyweight championship fight in Atlantic City and the subsequent investigation. The story is mostly pretty standard, uninspired stuff old school stuff, in fact it is easy to image Frank Sinatra staring in a movie like this back in the 50's or 60's. Some of the most memorable things about this movie are odd camera decisions by director Brain De Palma, like overhead "dollhouse" cut away shoots, or blurring the camera when we are seeing things from the eyes of Carla Gugion after she loses her glasses. Not horrible, but nothing to write home about. **

No comments: