Saturday, January 27, 2018

Coming to America (1988)

I remember seeing part of this in a network television showing in the early 1990's, and boy they had to edit this thing more then I would have thought. I wanted to like this movie more then I did, it's enjoyable enough I suppose, though seldom laugh out loud funny. Much of it is an excuse for Eddy Murphy and Arsenio Hall to get under heavy make up and play multiple parts, this being a tendency that Murphy would overexploit in the Nutty Professor films. Eddy Murphy plays prince Akeem as such an overly good and noble guy it becomes kind of annoying, it feels like he's trying too hard to show how much he respects women, and in a movie where his character enjoys the services of three beautiful shirtless bathing attendants. The ending to this movie feels really quick, tacked on, and inconsistent with Shari Headley's character arc. Can you believe this was the third highest grossing movie of 1988? **1/2

No comments: