Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Specter (2015)

I watched Specter again as part of my recent viewing of all the Bond movies. I still think Bond #24 is the weakest of the four Daniel Craig films, but is still okay. I love the opening sequence in Mexico City, there must have been tens of thousands of extras in that thing. I actually think Christoph Waltz might be my least favorite Blofeld, the casting was almost too obvious. Léa Seydoux character was more substantive then your typical Bond girl. Exotic locations Mexico City, London, Rome, Austria, Tangier and the Sahara. Good title song performed by Sam Smith. ***

Of the Bond movies as a whole I enjoyed them more then I thought I would, and I'm glad I watched them in fairly close succession. Maybe 2 to 4 of the movies might reasonably be called bad, but I thought for the most part this was an unusually strong franchise, and I enjoyed watching the tone and approach to the material ebb and flow and how the different movies and performances reflected the times in which they were made. I may get around to attempting a ranking in the near future.

No comments: