Thursday, July 6, 2017

The Terminator (1984)

Another iconic 80's film you may be surprised I had never seen before. The Terminator is the film that basically started James Cameron's career, though he had written and directed a few minor things before it. The Terminator is also the film that gave Arnold Schwarzenegger what is still his most identifiable role, even more then governor of California. I do wonder if Michael Biehn resents the fact that he never really became that big of a star, he plays the human solder sent back in time to stop The Terminator from taking the life of Sarah Conner (Linda Hamilton, also her best known role) the future mother of John Conner, the decisive human commander in our species war for survival against malevolent machines. I like how John Conner has a strong presence throughout the film even though we never see him, it makes him feel really legendary.

I must confess that while watching the film I didn't particularly enjoy it, and it was hard to put myself back into 1984 when this kind of sci-fi story would have really felt like something new. Looking back on it a few days later I appreciate it more, recognize it is a good movie, and both thematically and structurally its pretty impressive. Seeing the later movies in the series is on my to-do list, but I have a feeling that with Terminator, less is probably more. ***

No comments: