Sunday, March 6, 2016

Deadpool (2016)

In Deadpool Marvel's surreal, sarcastic, fourth wall breaking cult character gets his own movie through the agency of star Ryan Reynolds. Much has been made of the fact that this is an R rated comic book movie, and it earned that R, but such films have been done before such as The Watchman , Blade and Sin City. Perhaps more interesting and surprising to me is that fact that Deadpool is not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, no instead its part of the 20th Century Fox X-Men Universe, or a variation thereof. Thought the move plays off the fact that its a movie so much that its essentially in it own universe and any inconsistencies or oddities in plot can just be chocked up to the fact that its a movie and knows it. The cast assembled is fun, this a passion project from Reynolds, Morena Baccarin is kind of mold breaking for a superhero love interest, and to me T.J. Miller is just one of the funniest guys working in films right now. Also shout out to the fact that Leslie Uggams is in this film, I think this is the first film made in my lifetime that I've seen Leslie Uggams in. The film is very juvenile in most ways, I appreciated its irreverence but it did not resonate for me the way I hoped it might, so in the end for me the film experience was surprisingly middling, though maybe I'd enjoy it more on a second viewing. **1/2

No comments: