Saturday, November 14, 2015

No Escape (2015)

When I first saw the previews for No Escape I thought of some friends of mine who are currently living in Thailand with their family, it looked to be the closet thing I'd ever see to an action film staring Jackson and Lisa, unless you count Red Eye, which is an action film staring characters named Jackson and Lisa. Anyway No Escape stars Owen Wilson and Lake Bell as parents who move their family to a never named south-east Asian country that boarders Vietnam so Wilson can take a new job after the company he worked for in Texas has gone out of business. Well the day they arrive there is a coup, the corrupt prime minister is murdered, and many armed locals go about the city killing any foreigners or collaborators they can get their machetes on. Wilson and Bell then must do everything in their power to protect their two young daughters and stay a step ahead of the mob, but is there No Escape? Maybe.

This was a very intense movie, it takes 20 minutes or so for the action to really start but once it does it is relentless and often terrifying, truly a horror movie. Our lead couple eventually gets some help from a mildly drunk, womanizing British business man they first met on the plan, he is played by Pierce Brosnan so I don't think its a big spoiler to say that he is more then a mere mildly drunk, womanizing British business man. My experience with Wilson in 'serious' films is limited but I hated Behind Enemy Lines, though I don't mind him in this film and am also happy to see that Lake Bell is getting more work. There's not many films of this type, at least that I have seen, so I found No Escape refreshingly original in premise, and as I said quite intense. I'd recommend it, but know what you are getting into. ***

No comments: