Friday, October 23, 2015

Crimson Peak (2015)

A Guillermo del Toro directed gothic horror, romance film with Jessica Chastain in it, yes I'm interested. A wonderful piece of mood and design, Crimson Peak invokes for me the old 'Hammer Horror' films of the middle of last century, with a distinct color pallet, an unrushed pace, and an odd sense of subtlety, even when its being completely over the top. I personally liked the story, but it's kind of slight and needed the scene chewing of the actors and strong visual sense of the film to work. The ghosts are distinctive and very del Torro, and this has got to be my favorite cinematic haunted house of all time, that set, its massive and intricate, you can almost feel the rot and dampness through the screen, and speaking of the screen I recommend seeing this on a big one, I saw it in IMAX which I am convinced is this films proper format. Mia Wasikowska is a fine young actress who anchored the film, and can really pull of those period customs quite fetchingly. Tom Hiddleston will always be Loki, but that kind of works for him in this part. As for Jessica Chastain, nice change of pace for her. Really I didn't find the film that scary, but I did find it quite fun to watch. ***

No comments: