Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Hunger Games (2012)

Well I finally saw it. The movie that made Jennifer Lawrence a household name and launched a tremendously successful franchise, The Hunger Games is adapted from the first volume in author Suzanne Collins young adult dystopian trilogy, one that was shrewdly divided into four money making parts by Hollywood. Lawrence is Katniss Everdeen, a young woman who circumstances more or less force into participating n the titular reality TV/ gladiatorial battle to the death hybrid that the oppressive government of Panem uses to commemorate their subjugation of  "12 districts" in a North America of say a 100-120 years in the future. Well executed and grounded by Lawrence's performance the film is arguably more engaging then it deserves to be, slightly smarter then the usual popcorn fair. I was not blown away, but I was suitably impressed and look forward to seeing the future films in this series. After Divergent I fear I'm developing a slight weakness for this kind of film. ***

1 comment:

hortinthewho said...

This is one of the few times that I can honestly say that the movie was better than the book. To me the books felt like they moved through time too fast and were fragmented. I felt like the movie did a better job of bringing everything together. The next installments of the film were much better though.