Sunday, February 9, 2014

Streets of Fire (1984)

It was after seeing this trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJGo2rvfSuA) that I decided that I just had to see Streets of Fire. What an odd looking movie, what on Earth is it really about, why was it made? We'll I've seen it now and I'm still not sure. The subtitle of the film is ""A Rock & Roll Fable", which I guess accounts for its hard to pin-downness. It's kind of an action drama, some comedy, a musical, the world its set in 6/10th 1980's, 4/10ths 1950's, so there is color television and contemporary sounding rock music, but people keep black and white snapshots and the cops drive Studebakers. The music is catchy and the film climaxes with a hammer fight between Michael Pare' and Willem Dafoe, so those things are awesome, but again I'm still not sure what I saw and for all its weirdness it was slower then I'd expected. The trailer is better then the movie. **

No comments: