Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Disco Godfather (1979)

Yes I admit it, the only reason I watched this movie is its awesome title, sadly it doesn't really deliver. There is disco sure, but most of that is dispensed with in the first 20 minutes, and the organized crime aspect is there, but not anywhere near the level of The Godfather. The 'Disco Godfather' of the movies titles is in fact an ex-cop named Tucker Williams (Rudy Ray Moore) who has reestablished himself as the "Disco Godfather", owner and chief DJ of a popular night spot. When Tucker's beloved nephew Bucky (Julius Carry) nearly overdoses on "Angle Dust", Tucker leads a small group of concerned locals in an effort to take down the PCP operation of some guy whose name I can't be bothered to look up. The acting here is consisting some of the worst I've ever seen in a film, and I've seen Ed Wood movies. I swear the guy who plays the police Lieutenant must have been helping to finance this thing because I don't see how otherwise he's not kicked off the project after his first line reading. Unexpectedly this movie is surprisingly boring, except for the last ten minutes or so when the bad guys capture the Disco Godfather and get him hopped up on PCP. That is crazy, but it can't save this sadly disappointing example of blacksplotation cinema. *1/2

No comments: